Contact UsContact UsContact UsContact UsContact Us
- Make sure you get sufficient calcium intake. Experts recommend a daily intake of 1000-3000mg depending on your age. You can achieve this by taking supplements or eating foods that are enriched with calcium (below is a list of foods that are calcium enriched).
- Vitamin D is needed in order for your body to absorb calcium. Taking supplements, eating fortified dairy products (egg yolks, saltwater fish) or simply by getting 10-15 minutes of sunlight daily can help in getting a sufficient amount of Vitamin D. Experts recommend a daily intake of 400 to 800 IU.
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol intake.
- You should regularly take part in weight bearing exercise (i.e., walking, jogging, hiking and even dancing).
- Speak with your doctor about testing for bone density and potential fractures.
- Have a bone density test performed.
The following list contains various calcium-enriched foods:
- Dairy Products
- Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, collard greens
- Lima Beans, Kidney beans, White beans, Soybeans
- Fish with small bones such as Sardines