Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI) with Balloon Brachytherapy
MammoSite Targeted Radiation Therapy Solutions
The MammoSite system is Hologic’s legacy balloon brachytherapy system. It’s available in two configurations: single-lumen and multi-lumen catheters. The multi-lumen catheter has four offset lumens to allow for dosimetric optimization to minimize skin dose. This balloon also has a purple keyed stylet that helps you position the balloon after implantation.
Contura Multi-lumen Balloon Solutions
- Excellent/good cosmesis was observed in:
- 91.3% of patients at 5 years.
- 90.5% of patients at 6 years.
- 90.6% of patients at 7 years.
- Overall rate of fat necrosis was 2.5% with an infection rate of 9.6% and few late toxicity events beyond 2 years.
- Overall symptomatic seroma rate was 13.4% and 0.6% beyond 2 years.
- Ipsilateral breast tumor recurrence (IBTR) was developed in 41 cases (2.8%) for a 5-year actuarial rate of 3.8 % (3.7% for IBC and 4.1% for DCIS).
- No local recurrences.
- 83.3% of patients had good/excellent cosmetic results.
- 100% of patients would recommend MammoSite targeted radiation therapy to a friend or family member.
- 100% of patients would use MammoSite targeted radiation therapy if they had to do it over.
The safety and effectiveness of the MammoSite® radiation therapy system (RTS), MammmoSite® ML radiation therapy system and the Contura® applicator as a replacement for whole breast irradiation in the treatment of breast cancer has not been established.
1. King TA, Bolton JS, Kuske RR, et al. Long-term results of wide-field brachytherapy as the sole method of radiation therapy after segmental mastectomy for Tis1,2 breast cancer. Am J Surg. 2000; 180:299-304.
2. Shah C, Badiyan S, Ben Wilkinson J, Vicini F, Beitsch P, Keisch M, Arthur D, Lyden M. Treatment Efficacy With Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI): Final Analysis of the American Society of Breast Surgeons MammoSite Breast Brachytherapy Registry Trial. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013 Aug 22. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23975302
3. LuSM, ScanderbegDJ, BarnaP, YasharW, YasharC .Evaluation of Two Intracavitary high-dose-rate Brachytherapy Devices for Irradiating Additional and Irregularly Shaped Volumes of Breast Tissue. Article In Press Medical Dosimetry (2011),p3.
4. 05/27/11 – Technical Information Bulletin regarding the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) and the Radiation Therapy and Oncology Group (RTOG) issued amendment #5 to the current NSABP-39/RTOG 0413 Phase III study
5. Edmundson, GK, Vicini FA, Chen PY, Mitchell C, Martinez AA. Dosimetric Characteristics of the MammoSite RTS, A New Breast Brachytherapy Applicator. Int J. Radiation Oncology Biol. Phys. 52: 1132-1139; 2002
6.Data on file - based on sales history from 2005-2016
7.Benitez PR, Keisch ME, Vicini F, Stolier A, Scroggins T, Walker A, et al. Five-year results: the initial clinical trial of MammoSite balloon brachytherapy for partial breast irradiation in early-stage breast cancer. Am J Surg 2007;194:456-62
8. All clinical data used to support this 5-Day Targeted Therapy™ system claim was was derived from use of the MammoSite® system.
MammoSite Targeted Radiation Therapy System Patient Video
MammoSite Targeted Animation Video
Contura Multi-Lumen Balloon Catheter Animation Video